Do you love Pokémon? Do you love competitive battling? If you think you have what it takes to be the best, check out the DerpyCon Pokémon Challenge! An epic quest to defeat the 8 gym leaders awaits you! Once bested, you have the opportunity to take on the Elite four, and maybe even the elusive Champion himself!! There will be giveaways, special Pokémon, and who knows what else exciting fun Pokémon-related swag. We hope to see you there!
Started by Alumni of the Penn State Pokémon Society, The DerpyCon Pokémon Challenge staff had run “Real World Pokémon Challenge” events at Penn State for years before bringing the event to DerpyCon. Invited back for a second run, they’re bringing new and improved Gyms, expanded sidequests and Pokémon Prizes for challengers! For an example of how the event will run, watch Pokémon Blue and White, a documentary made about the original Penn State Pokemon Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxvk5KxGWvE.
This documents the rules and guidelines that shall be followed and enforced during the Derpy-Con Pokémon Challenge (DCPC). These rules have been reviewed and approved by the Pokémon Professor, the Gym Leaders, and the Elite Four and have been compared against and modified from the standard rules and bans as applied by Smogon. Continued use or disregarding of any rules, bans, or clauses constitutes as grounds for disqualification and termination from the event.
Species Clause: This clause states that only one Pokémon assigned to any specific Pokédex Number may be used within a single battle. Duplicate Pokémon will not be allowed during battle for any participant in the event.
Example: You may not have more than one Charizard on your team.
Sleep Clause: This clause states that during the course of battle you may not put more than one of your opponent’s Pokémon to sleep at any given time. If you put more than one of your opponent’s Pokémon to sleep the battle is instantly forfeited. Any participant may put any number of his own Pokémon to sleep during the battle.
Example: If you use sleep powder to put your opponent’s Jolteon to sleep, and while the Jolteon is still sleeping you use sing to put your opponent’s Plusle to sleep you forfeit the match to your opponent.
Example: If your opponent uses Rest to put her Snorlax to sleep and while her Snorlax is still asleep uses Rest to put her Milotic to sleep this is considered a legal move and will not cause a forfeit.
Item Clause: This clause states that held items may not be duplicated on your team during during battle. Leftovers is an exception to this rule and is allowed to be used by up to two different Pokémon as a held item.
Example: A challenger may not give a Lum Berry to his Scrafty and also to his Lucario.
One Hit Knock Out (OHKO) Clause: This clause states that no OHKO moves are permitted to be used during the challenge.
Example: You may not use Fissure.
Evasion Clause: This clause states that there can be no use of evasion moves or abilities. This includes moves and abilities that cause a Pokémon to have a higher likelihood to evade attacks.
Example: The move Double Team cannot be used; The ability Snow Cloak is not acceptable.
Legendary Clause: This clause states that no Legendary Pokémon are to be used during the event unless obtained through an event during the challenge and provided by a member of the DCPC event staff.
Example: You may not use Latios in battle if it was not obtained through the event.
Endless Battle Clause: This clause states that forcing an Endless Battle is grounds for termination of a match by Gym Leaders or the Elite Four. This clause includes, but is not limited to the use of infinite PP techniques and stall teams that are designed to take great amounts of time. Gym Leaders have discretion to declare the match a forfeit in cases where a match is taking too long to complete. Battle length is monitored by the event staff.
Example: Use of the Leppa Berry, the move Recycle used in conjunction with one another
Don’t Be A Dick (DBAD) Clause: This clause states Don’t Be a Dick.
Example: Don’t Be A Dick.
The Pokémon listed below are banned and cannot be used during the course of this event unless provided through the event by a staff member. There are no exceptions to these bans. Use of any of these Pokémon is grounds for match forfeit.
- Speed Boost Blaziken
The Pokémon Abilities listed below are banned and cannot be used during the course of this event. There are no exceptions to these bans. Use of any of these Abilities is grounds for match forfeit.
- Sand Veil
- Snow Cloak
The held items listed below are banned and cannot be used during the course of this event. There are no exceptions to these bans. Use of any of these items is grounds for match forfeit.
- Soul Dew
- Focus Band
- Quick Claw
- Lax Incense
- Bright Powder
- The changing of your team members while challenging Gym Leaders is acceptable. You may adjust your team to assist you in attaining victory during challenges. The changing of your team members while challenging the Elite Four is not acceptable. You may not change your team out during the Elite Four battles, however if you lose your first attempt you may change your team out if you qualify for a second attempt.
- You are allowed to rechallenge a Gym Leader if you are unsuccessful, however you may not back to back challenge a leader. Please be considerate of the other challengers waiting to face the Gym Leaders. There are other Gym Leaders you may challenge in the interim. There is an exception if there is no line. In this case it is up to the Gym Leader if they would like to allow a back to back challenge.
- All matches will be on a 6 versus 6 level 50 flat battle and the connection method is by Gym Leader discretion.
- Any intentional disconnect is considered immediate forfeiture. If an unintentional disconnect occurs the status of the battle or the choice to restart the match are left to the Gym Leader discretion.
- Gym Leaders and other Non Playing Character Events may have special rules for their battles including 4v4 Singles, 6v6 Singles, 6V6 Doubles, 6v6 Rotation, 6v6 Triples, etc. Some Gym Leaders or NPCs may have other specific rules to apply for their gym/event only. These rules will be explain prior to battle.
- The Elite Four Challenge is held on Sunday. Unless stated otherwise, 8 badges are required to challenge the Elite Four. If no challengers obtain 8 badges the top three challengers will be permitted to face the Elite Four and challenge for Victory.
- The DCPC Staff do not condone any sort of cheating or harassment. You will be immediately disqualified from the event if cheating or harassment occur.