So you want to run a Workshop?
JUST DO IT! This means you want to educated our attendees in a more hands on approach and help them gain a new skill or level up their current ones. For example, how to create foam props, how to sew a plushie, or how to draw in a certain style. We welcome your submissions on various subjects and would love you to share your expertise with Derpycon.
What’s in it for you?
The glory of being envied by your friends and perhaps dozens of strangers who come to bask in the light of your knowledge, and of course a reimbursed badge. Also knowing that you helped to make our awesome attendees even more awesome.
- Workshop applications will be accepted from Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 08:01 PM EST thru Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 11:59:59 PM EST.
- All workshop submissions must be made via the Derpycon Workshop Application.
Workshop submissions received through other means will not be considered!
- If you workshop will need a fee to cover materials please chose this when filling out the form.
- All panelists must be over the age of 16 at time of event.
- If you are under 16 and want to still do a workshop you must have a parent or guardian to be with you during the panel and check in.
- Please make sure to fill out the application completely. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submissions will be reviewed after the submission window closes.
- Be advised that it could be several weeks after the submission window closes before you hear anything about your workshop submission.
- 18+ content is anything that contains graphic, sexual, overly violent or obscene material which would be unsuitable for minors, aka people under 18!
- If you are unsure of whether the content of your panel is 18+, it probably is.
Please err on the side of caution. Look at movie ratings!
- You MUST be 18 or older to run an 18+ workshop. No exceptions.
- DerpyCon is a family friendly event. Therefore, workshops containing 18+ content will be scheduled late in the evening, generally between the hours of 10PM and 2AM.
- If a panel submitted as ‘not 18+’ is found to contain 18+ material, DerpyCon staff reserve the right to shut down the panel in progress. A panel shut down while in progress will not be considered successfully run and may lead to denial of membership reimbursements and future panel submissions.
- Please note that 18+ workshops will face a stricter standards due to potential legal actions. So even if you have a proper submission and you have run this workshop at other cons it maybe rejected only due to risk, but please do not let this prevent you from submitting.
DerpyCon is able to offer a limited number of workshop reimbursement under the following conditions:
- All workshops will be allowed one named panelist. Additional panelists are allowed, but cannot count their participation towards reimbursement.
- No more than three presenters of a workshop at a time.
- If you need more in order to properly run your workshop please email head of panels to see what can be arranged.
- A minimum of three hours of programming will be needed in for DerpyCon 2017 badge reimbursement.
- This can be combined with panel hours.
- For example 2 hours of workshop programming and 1 hour of panel programming.
- You may submit additional programming, but will not get extra reimbursements
- This can be combined with panel hours.
- There will be limited reimbursements for DerpyCon 2017.
- Qualifying panelists will receive a confirmation email from DerpyCon’s Program Head two-six weeks before convention. Panelists must print a copy of this email, a printed receipt for a DerpyCon registration.
- Also the Head of Panels will be calling you to confirm that you can be reached.
- Derpycon staff are encouraged to submit and run workshops, but will not receive additional compensation.
- Also staff must go through a separate process to submit their workshops.
- Registration reimbursements are capped at the equivalent rate of when the registration was purchased.
- DerpyCon reserves the right to deny reimbursement for panelists who do not complete the required number of workshops at con or panelists who violate the rules of DerpyCon, our venue, or the state of New Jersey.
WORKSHOP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
For questions related to submitting a workshop for DerpyCon 2017, you may contact the Panels Department via the DerpyCon Contact Form Thank you!